The Irish Midlands
Midlands – Cavan, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Monaghan & Westmeath
The Irish Midlands region includes the counties of Cavan, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Monaghan and Westmeath. The area is home to beautiful rolling hills, historic sites and ancient castles. Moneygall, located on the border of Offaly and Tipperary counties, is where President Obama has ancestral roots. And the Midlands is also home to the River Shannon, Ireland’s longest river.
Irish Midlands Attractions
- Athlone Castle – 12th century castle on the banks of River Shannon.
- Ballaghmore Castle – 15th century castle.
- Birr Castle – dates back to medieval time.
- Bog of Allen – largest raised peat bog in Ireland.
- Clonalis House – built in 1878.
- Clonmacnoise -monastic site and a top visitor attraction, overlooking the River Shannon.
- Killykeen Forest Park -fun for bird-watchers and wildlife lovers.
- Lockes Distillery Museum – Ireland’s oldest licensed distillery dates back to 1757.
- Patrick Kavanagh Center – commemorates poet Patrick Kavanagh.
- The Rock of Dunamaise – remains of a Celtic fortification.
- Roscommon Castles and Forts
- Stradbally Hall Narrow Gauge Railway
Book Ireland Sightseeing Tours & Day Trips
See Ireland’s spectacular Cliffs of Moher. Take a fun Day Trip to Belfast and Giant’s Causeway. Tour the world-famous Guinness Storehouse and enjoy a pint of Guinness. Discover Ireland’s stunning Ring of Kerry. Visit the cosmopolitan city of Gallway, on Ireland’s West Coast. Explore beautiful Wicklow County.
Book Your Ireland Business Trip or Vacation
The Best Time To Visit Ireland
Ireland’s temperatures are moderate year-round. The best time to visit the Irish Midlands is during Spring and Fall when it’s not too crowded. June-August is peak Summer tourist season. Spring can also be a busy time (St. Patrick’s Day Festivals and Parades). Expect rain year-round. Pack an umbrella and wear layers.