“I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake.”
– Robert Louis Stevenson
South America is rich in history and culture, and home to some of the world’s most breathtaking natural wonders. Explore the eclectic countries of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela.
Fun South America Attractions
There’s so much to do and see in South America, it’s hard to know where to begin. Its top tourist attraction is Machu Picchu (pictured below). The world-renowned Mayan ruins are located in Peru. South America is also home to a beautiful rainforest, spectacular waterfalls, mountains, rivers, lakes, geysers and glaciers. Top attractions include:
- Amazon Rainforest – the world’s largest tropical rainforest.
- Amazon River – the longest river in South America.
- Angel Falls, Venezuela – the world’s highest waterfall.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina – bustling nightlife and great food.
- Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – the views from atop Sugar Loaf mountain are incredible.
- Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro – considered the most famous beach in the world.
- Cusco, Peru – popular Inca city, rich in history and culture.
- Easter Island, Chile – one of the most sacred sites on the planet. The mystical island is famous for its Moai statues that are scattered around the island.
- Galapagos Islands, Ecuador – animal lovers flock here from around the world to see its rich marine wildlife, including penguins, sea lions and turtles. It’s also a popular destination for snorkeling and diving.
- Geysers El De Tatio, Northern Chile – the third largest geyser field in the world
- Iguazu Falls, bordering Argentina and Brazil – one of South America’s most visited attractions.
- Lake Titicaca, Bolivia – the country’s largest lake is located in the Andes Mountains.
- Machu Picchu, Peru – The Mayan ruins are South America’s top tourist destination.
- Mount Fitz Roy, located in Patagonia, bordering Argentina and Chile – great for mountain climbing and hiking.
- Mount Roraima, Venezuela, Brazil and Guyana
- Nazca Lines, Peru – a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A collection of ancient giant geoglyphs (lines etched into the ground). The mysterious shapes and designs were created over 2,000 years ago. Today, it remains one of the most ancient mysteries of the world.
- Perito Moreno Glacier, Argentina – admire views of the glacier. This popular attraction is located in the Los Glaciares National Park.
- The Pantanal, Brazil – another fun destination for animal lovers.
- Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia – the largest Salt Flats in the world.
- San Pedro de Atacama, Chili – home to Moon Valley, canyons and caves.
- Torres del Paine National Park, Patagonia, Chile – mountains, glaciers, lakes and rivers. Great place for hiking.
Book South America Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips and Fun Things To Do - Argentina, Brazil & Peru
Visit both sides of Iguazo Falls (Brazil and Argentina) and see this amazing natural wonder. Enjoy a Full-Day Tour of Rio de Janeiro. Take a Day Tour to the majestic Perito Moreno Glacier including Boat Safari. Walk with the Penguins in Martillo Island on this fun Guided Tour. Take a Peruvian Cooking Class including Local Market and Exotic Fruit Tasting. Explore the Mayan Ruins of Machu Picchu on a fun Day Trip from Cusco.
Book Your South America Vacation
The Best Time To Visit South America
The best time to visit South America is during the Autumn months, from April-June when it’s more temperate and fewer tourists. Rainy season is usually between January and March. Summer season runs from November-February and winter season lasts from June-August.