We’d always thought of Calistoga as a quiet, laid back kind of town. However, after recently spending a few days visiting their luxury resorts and B&Bs, wine-tasting and touring four unique (appointment-only) wineries off the beaten track, experiencing a Royal Wine & Food Pairing at Castello di Amorosa, dining at fabulous restaurants any foodie would love, and indulging in a luxurious Couples Spa Treatment (mud bath, mineral pool and massage), Calistoga has taken on a whole new perspective for us – we can’t wait to go back again!
One of our new favorite aspects of Calistoga is that you can go and explore the wineries and enjoy wine-tasting during the day, then come back to your lodging, park your car and be able to walk to the shops, art galleries, tasting rooms, spas, and restaurants (or you have the option of taking the free Calistoga shuttle bus around town). It’s similar in that way to staying at Yountville or downtown Sonoma. Or course you can always book a Wine-Tasting Day Tour with Beau Wine Tours if you don’t fancy drinking and driving. They’ll pick you up at your hotel and take you to whatever wineries you choose to visit.
Calistoga is famous for its hot springs and spa treatments, primarily mud and mineral baths. We’ve sampled both the communal mud baths and the couples mud baths – while both have their good points, we preferred the privacy of the couples option (at the Baths at Roman Spa). There are so many spas to choose from (most located in the downtown area) as well as spa treatments at Calistoga’s luxury resorts.
Be sure to visit Calistoga’s Natural Wonders, Old Faithful Geyser and the Petrified Forest and stop by the Calistoga Welcome Center (on Washington Street) for more info on fun things to do.
If you’re planning a luxurious and romantic weekend getaway in Calistoga, here are a few of our recommendations on lodging, restaurants, wineries and spas:
Where To Stay – Calistoga Resorts, Inns and B&Bs
- Luxury Resorts: Calistoga Ranch Resort (an Auberge Resort) or Solage Calistoga
- Luxury Inn: Cottage Grove inn (Calistoga Resort Cottages) – Downtown
- Luxury Bed & Breakfast: Luxe Calistoga – Downtown
Where To Go Wine-Tasting – Calistoga Wineries
(tours/tastings by appointment-only)
- Homage Vineyard
Intimate outdoor setting and outstanding wines – say hi to Avia!
- Tamber Bey Vineyards (Horse Ranch & Winery)
Reminded me of my Fort Worth, Texas days. Say hi to Doug – he gives a FUN winery tour and tasting and he has some great stories to share!)
- Phifer Pavitt
Relaxing barn-like setting; we love their creative wine label “Date Night” – say hi to Suzanne!
- Jericho Canyon Vineyard
Jeep ride through the vineyards followed by wine-tasting in an underground cave – say hi to Nick!
World-famous sparkling wines
- Castello di Amorosa
For something truly special, treat yourself and your honey to the Royal Wine & Food Pairing (by Sommelier Mary) – a unique wine-tasting experience not to be missed!
- Chateau Montelena Winery – no reservations for daily tasting and vineyard tour; however, advanced reservations are needed for “Bottle Shock” Tour (find out all about the 1976 Paris Tasting), Estate Tour and CellarMaster Tasting
- Sterling Vineyards – take an aerial gondola (the only one of its kind in Napa Valley) up the hill to the winery; no advance reservations are needed
Where To Eat – Calistoga Restaurants
- Solbar at Solage Calistoga (open to the public) – Michelin-star-rated
- Calistoga Ranch Restaurant (guests of resort only) – indoor/outdoor setting
- Boskos Trattoria (Italian) – Casual downtown restaurant
- Calistoga Inn Restaurant & Brewery located on Lincoln Avenue
- 1226 Washington (Choose from three dining settings: The Dining Room, The Tavern/Bar and The Garden) – say hi to Jen and Stan!
- JoLe Restaurant – Farm-to-Table Contemporary American Restaurant
Where To Go for Spa Treatments – Calistoga Spas*
- Baths at Roman Spa (massage, mud and mineral baths)
- Indian Springs
- Spa Solage
- The Auberge Spa at Canyon Ranch Resort (resort guests only)
- Calistoga Spa Hot Springs
- Mount View Hotel & Spa
- Day Spas: Lincoln Avenue Spa and Lavender Hill Spa
*Most Calistoga Spas offer Couples Spa Treatments
We hope you enjoy your Romantic Calistoga Weekend Getaway as much as we did. Tell us about your favorite places to visit.
Find More Fun Things To Do in Napa Valley Wine Country, including Yountville and Calistoga