Check out the “Top 10 World’s Most Visited Tourist Attractions” according to a recent survey by Travel + Leisure magazine before planning your next vacation or weekend getaway. You may be surprised to see what made the list – I know we were!
We’ve visited all of the “Top 10 World’s Most Visited Tourist Attractions” listed below and agree that they should be on everybody’s “must-see” list. Although, if it was up to us, we’d substitute a few of our personal favorites that didn’t make the list, including: Stonehenge, The Great Wall of China, Forbidden City (Beijing), Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower, Yosemite, Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London – plus a few that are on our bucket list, including: The Taj Mahal, Great Pyramids of Egypt and Machu Picchu.
Top 10 World’s Most Visited Tourist Attractions:
- Times Square (39.2 million)
- Central Park in New York City (38 million)
- Washington D.C.’s Union Station (37 million)
- Las Vegas Strip (29.5 million)
- Niagara Falls (22.5 million)
- NYC’s Grand Central Terminal (21.6 million)
- Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston (18 million)
- Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, Orlando (about 17 million*)
- Disneyland, Anaheim, California (about 16 million*)
- Grand Bazaar, Istanbul (15 million)
*Disney never gives attendance figures; both of these are estimates
What countries get the most tourists? France is No. 1, the USA is No. 2 and China passed Spain last year to rank No. 3 according to T+L, based on World Tourism Organization stats.
Source: (and how list was compiled) Travel + Leisure magazine October 2011
Do you agree with these Top 10 tourist attraction picks? What attractions would YOU add to the list?