I called my friend Sandra in South Africa to wish her a “Happy Birthday” (it was a big one) and asked her what she was doing to celebrate her special milestone day. When she told me what she was planning, I thought it was such a creative and fun idea. With a big birthday coming up myself, I decided to do the same thing and asked her if I could share it with everybody by writing a blog article. So here it is…
Celebrate Your Milestone Birthday Every Month for a Year
When celebrating a special birthday (e.g. 21, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80…), instead of having a big party or taking a trip (both of which can be expensive), consider making it a year-long celebration. Do something special on your actual birthday. Then celebrate on the same day of every month… all year-long. Why celebrate just one day when you can celebrate 12 days – it’s a gift that keeps on giving!
Whatever you do doesn’t have to be extravagant. It can be something as simple as taking time out to do something special for yourself without feeling guilty. Plan ahead and block out time on your calendar (anything from an hour to a whole day) on that particular day every month so you don’t forget to do something fun. Here are a few examples of some of the things that you can do throughout the year to celebrate your milestone birthday:
Enjoy Eating Out
- Enjoy a romantic dinner with your spouse or significant other.
- Have lunch with a friend or a relative – or spend a FUN day out with the girls!
- Eat your favorite fast food. My favorite is Taco Bell, especially the Pacifica location with an outdoor deck overlooking the beach – The World’s #1 Beachfront Taco Bell.
- Order a pizza delivery with all your favorite toppings.
- Picnic at the park, by a lake or on the beach. Pack a picnic lunch or stop by your local deli and pick up something to-go.
- Try a new place for brunch and enjoy a celebratory Mimosa or Bloody Mary.
- Meet a friend for coffee, afternoon tea or Happy Hour.
Spa Day – Pamper Yourself
- Treat yourself to a Spa Day – Massage, Facial, Mani/Pedi.
- Enjoy a DIY Facial. I really like the inexpensive facial masks, available at Target, CVS and online. My favorite is Trader Joe’s Rich Hydrating Face Sheet Mask. Play soothing music and enjoy a relaxing facial in the comfort of your own home.
- Fill your bathroom with soothing scented candles (I love lavender or jasmine). Play your favorite music and take a long leisurely bubble bath.
Enjoy a Zen Moment
- Walk along the water, lake or beach… there’s nothing like having a Zen moment and being out in nature to reflect on life.
- Listen to your favorite music and/or read a magazine or a book without interruption.
- Meditate for 20 minutes… or more. Guided meditations are available on Apple Fitness+, Calm, Headspace, and Zen2020.com.
- Get away on a Spiritual Meditation Retreat for the day. Barry and I spent a day at Spirit Rock in Marin County, CA to celebrate a special birthday and it was one of the best days ever!
- Call or FaceTime Video a family member or a friend just to say “hi.” There never seems to be enough time in the week to call family and friends and have a nice long chat, especially if they live in a different state or another country – most of my family are across the pond.
- Practice your mindfulness and breathing. Take a nap, walk your dog, play with your cats… or do absolutely nothing. To quote John Lennon… “the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
- Craving chocolate? Eat a piece or two (or three) of your favorite chocolate… guilt-free on your special day. You can diet tomorrow!
- Enjoy an ice-cream sundae with all the toppings (banana, nuts, chocolate fudge sauce and whipped cream) or indulge in a decadent dessert.
- Go shopping and treat yourself to something special. It doesn’t have to be anything expensive… maybe a new lipstick or a fun color nail polish.
- Go wine-tasting for the day or open a special bottle of wine at home and share it with a friend.
- Treat yourself to your favorite flowers and put them in vases around your house. Even a single rose or sunflower can brighten your day.
- Binge-watch your favorite Netflix, Amazon Prime or Apple TV+ shows. Get comfy in your sweats or pajamas and enjoy special treats while you watch.
- Eat whatever you want whenever you want. And do whatever makes you happy… just for the day!
Keep Moving & Exploring
- Take a new yoga, meditation, spin or exercise class. Or watch online in the comfort of your home. Download the Apple Fitness+ or health app of your choice and get started now.
- Go for a bike ride, walk or hike along a scenic trail. One afternoon, we rented bikes in San Francisco and rode along the Marina Green and Crissy Field out to the Golden Gate Bridge – one of the best views in the world!
- Play tourist for the day in your city – we love doing this!
Find a Scenic Bay Cruise, Sightseeing Tour or Fun Day Trip
Art, Culture & Fun Adventures
- Take up a new hobby. Enroll in an art class, learn a new language or sign up for a cooking class.
- See a movie matinee – don’t forget the popcorn!
- Visit an amusement park for the day and feel like a kid again! Ride the roller-coaster – the first seat up front is the most exhilarating.
- See the latest exhibit at one of your local museums. We love the immersive art exhibits, e.g. Beyond Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience
- Plan a fun adventure and do something you’ve never done before. Go hot-air ballooning or white water rafting. Barry and I met while sitting around a campfire during a white water rafting weekend with friends on the American River in Northern California. You never know when or where you may meet your soulmate 🙂